10/1/07

Mommy Skills


Ed and I recently spent the evening at the home of dear friends where I had the high honor of participating in the children's sacred bed-time rituals. The kids were dutifully completing hygiene protocol as I waited, cross-legged, on the floor of their bedroom - eagerly anticipating my narration role in the evening's book-reading ceremony. Suddenly, Abby (6 going on 24) appeared with loaded toothbrush in hand and declared, "Here, Vonda - I want you to brush my teeth tonight; this is a very important skill you'll need in order to be a mommy."

ME (after wetting my pants): Did this kid just say the word 'skill'?!?

ME AGAIN: Lord, your grace in filling our lives with children to love, before we're able to hold our own, is the measuring cup packed down and spilling over. Thank you SO much!

And thanks to KJ for 'mommying' 3 amazing kids - (at least one of which will be President as soon as she comes of age). And so graciously allowing me to try out these 'very important skills' on her 'chillins'... ;-)

6 comments:

zcoffeegirl said...

I've got four sweet chillins that you can practice on any time you want. Do I have to stick around while you do it? Haaahaaaaa.

-V- said...

Sign me up - let's synch the calendars, sister...!

Anonymous said...

Better be careful, there, -v-, you'll be so booked up you'll have to quit your day job!!

BTW, I've got three...a couple too big for you to brush their teeth, but one girly-bug who still LOVES to be read to.

rt said...

I've got a couple you can practice on also. What ages are you looking for? One of the big ones is still a big fan of your husbands from when he was in STAND. I find it rather interesting to hear that children think of brushing teeth as a skill. Mine think of it as a chore!

-V- said...

Happy to see so many takers on the childcare... I'm not up on all the mommy etiquette yet, but isn't there some kind of child-swap rule like... "I'll take yours, then you take mine later" kind of thing? My boys shed perpetually and fight over who gets to play with the headless, magot-infested ground squirrel... any takers?? (JK ;-) Dog Mommy Skills: now there's a future post!

Quitting my day job: tempting. Think anyone's looking for a full-time toothbrusher/children's book reader??

Anonymous said...

Yes, they're called Nannies.

Don't tempt me.