10/26/07

Magic Moment

Spending this sunny morning with NoOtherName's kids (7, 5, 3, 10 mo.) reminded me of a time I had visited their home earlier this summer. I had come to hang with my dear friend late in the evening and, as she completed bedtime rituals upstairs, I waited downstairs, folding some clean laundry from a basket in the living room. Their 'Totty' is just two months older than Eva (who was still very much my secret at the time) and, as I folded some of her sweet little pants, shirts and jammies, I felt a stab of longing to know for sure that Eva would be our daughter - to hold her and be with her.

Being the drama queen that I am (even when no one's looking), I raised my lumped throat and moist eyes above me so as to show the Lord, "See - do you see me? This is painful... can you do something please?"

No sooner had the moment passed than NoOtherName came in holding little Cait (6 mo. at the time). Granted, there's something very, very special about Cait's highly-developed cuddling skills, but I've never had a 6 mo. old react to my presence like this... Without prompt, she smiled sweetly and put her hands directly out as if to request that I hold her. Once I took her, she proceeded to nuzzle her face into my neck and put her tiny hand on my face... We held this embrace for minutes. Nothing of earth could have touched me with more tenderness in that moment.

"Mmm... Lord, you are so good. Thank you for seeing me - even when I'm a drama queen. And thank you for answering."

8 comments:

theswamphare said...

Yeah V.,

'Caity-Cat' has that effect on me too.

Swampy

NoOtherName said...

I saw how much she touched you in that moment. How beautiful to know the fuller significance of its meaning!

My children have always loved you, V. And we will always love your Eva.

zcoffeegirl said...

I love when God shows us his love so specifically. That is just beautiful.

Carla said...

Awwwww. Sweet.

Kara Jo said...

V, I'm tearing up with you, feeling a little bit of the longing and pain you must have felt as you cried out to God.
And now, how joyful it is to have seen God move, to know she's "on the way," and to wait with excited anticipation for her arrival.

TheKupkaFamily said...

Vonda,
what a beautiful story. I cannot even emagin the ups and downs you and Ed must go through. What a day that will be when we can all meet little Eva.

Anushka said...

Dearest V- i can barely wait to pick out a lil' frock for your Eva- your story made we cry. (thanks alot.) "TURN AROUND ~ TURN AROUND ~ TURN AROUND AND YOUR TINY ` TURN AROUND ~ AND YOU'RE GROWN ~ TURN AROUND ~ AND YOUR A YOUNG WIFE ~ WITH BABES OF YOUR OWN" -nancy griffeth song

erin said...

Thank you for sharing such a sweet memory with us!