10/13/07

At The Well

John 4:27: "Just then his disciples returned and were surprised to find him talking with a woman. But no one asked, "What do you want?" or "Why are you talking with her?"


They were thinking it... but they didn't say it. If we've been part of a Christian community of faith for any length of time, chances are we've heard about how it was counter-cultural for Jesus to be talking to this woman at all. For reasons of race as well as gender. His disciples were "surprised" because the situation was outside of cultural norms.

But, in addition, what is significant to me about Christ's conversation with this woman is the subject matter. He didn't stop at the fact that he was thirsty. He didn't discuss with her the weather or the logistics behind why he happened to be sitting by Jacob's well. The main topics of conversation noted are: (A) the existence of her need, including reference to her many relational disappointments and failures, and (B) the fulfillment of her need, culminating in profound revelation regarding the true nature of worship AND intimate revelation of Jesus' true identity. Specifically, His identity as the One she had personally been anticipating.

I love LOVE that Jesus did this. Not only did He refuse to be limited by the cultural norm of condescending to her (as a Samaritan and as a woman) by just 'keeping it simple' with the theology; but he dared to reach beyond the 'surface' of her ability to access well water, to acknowledge who she was and where she had been. He 'saw' her. He stepped through her wall.

And, for her, (and for her town!), that 'stepping through' was transformational.

We have social cultural norms today too. I love boundaries. Believe me. I've personally experienced their precious necessity - and have the utmost respect for any 'norms' attempting to establish and uphold appropriate patterns of interaction. We've all seen (and many of us have experienced) the pain and chaos of breached boundaries. As Christ-followers, we are well aware of the dangers of 'stepping through' with one another... And, obviously, if anyone was 'safe' in being able to do this purely and appropriately, it was Christ.

But sometimes I wonder whether there isn't just a bit of fearful Umbridge (see Post 1) in cultural norms that (intentionally or unintentionally) keep us from ministering to one another 'beyond the surface'. Or, perhaps, it's not the 'norms' themselves, but how we prioritize them, relative to how God desires to work in and through us for His glory. Do I worship the unspoken 'rules' of appropriate boundaries established within my given community of faith? Or do I acknowledge the precious value of their intent to protect, while still remaining open to His prompting to enter into others' lives at a level that could result in HIS 'stepping through' their walls in a transformational way?

I've seen this done well - with wisdom and purity. And my heart is filled with gratitude for the women AND men who have reached beyond the surface of my life at His prompting and, by His grace, have been used by Christ in producing increased freedom and transformation in my life - and glory for our Abba. It is because I've seen this done well that I long to see more of it - to witness and to be involved in this 'stepping through' in the lives of my brothers and sisters...

Terrilynn, I don't know you, but I sing with you this poem you've written and posted:

It's not enough for me to listen
ears are alone, without voice
the tune lies deadpan
notes fade in the mute

I will sing your praises in the public square
echo of the loon, lips like a lyre
whoever will strum my strings will hear
of my love for you,
will hear of your love for all
will hear will hear will hear
me sing.

-(terrilynn)-

2 comments:

zcoffeegirl said...

This is so good and thought provoking - V. I pray that I can reach beyond the norms, yet within the boundaries that God would have me stay in when encouraging a fellow believer. I think we either hold back or use cliche's. And it takes practice listening to the Spirit's promptings. It is difficult at times to know who's doing the talking. Me or Him. Good post.

-V- said...

Thanks for reading through and commenting on such a long post, Coffeegirl. I'm with you - tough to find the line here and I write as much to me as for everyone else... I just love that He crossed human-contrived lines - resulting in such powerful transformation. This is a major thing that draws me to Him, as a person.