10/25/07

Lunar Lure

I put substantial effort into avoiding situations where I might be required to leave my bed while the man in the moon is still roaming about. Thursdays are an exception though; my early day - and I was glad to have shared a path with Mr. Moon for a few minutes this early morning. He was stunning. Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin himself, risen from the pumpkin patch and hovering victoriously over McCutcheon Rd. I actually modified my route to work this morning so I could gaze at him a few minutes longer.

I'm fascinated by the ancient links between humanity and our moon - all its symbols and cycles and patterns. Granted, its cycles are still intimately entwined with our calendars, tidal patterns, etc.. But people used to FEEL it; live their lives by it, know within their own bodies what stage the moon was at. Much of this 'knowing' has been lost, I think. Like a secret God whispered once but, through the ages, grew softer till it faded away. At least for me. My only conscious moon-link is: the longer it stays up in the morning, the greater the gravitational force my bed exerts on me. How's that for scientific?

By the way, in Africa it's a rabbit on the moon; not a guy. Serious. The moon is positioned a little differently, and the rabbit's ears are upright. My grandpa once showed me when I was there...

Eva, someday, together, we'll learn of the rabbit moon. Sweet dreams now, my baby:

"I see the moon and the moon sees me
The moon sees somebody I want to see
God bless the moon and God bless me
And God bless the somebody I want to see.




It seems to me that God above
Created you for me to love
He picked you out from all the rest
To be the one that I loved best.

I had a heart 'twas true and good
But now it's gone from me to you
Take care of it as I have done
Cause you have two and I have none."

Author: Traditional
("Grandparents Magazine")

3 comments:

Bren said...

I LOVE the moon! I am going out with Laura Walls (Sanders) after spinning and we sit and watch the moon just like we used to after games in our cheerleading uniforms when I didn't have to spin and actually had a metabolism.

-V- said...

Have fun, Bren - tell Laura 'hi' for me!

Rachel said...

I saw the moon this morning, too. It was stunning hanging over the tall buildings in downtown Minneapolis as I drove into the city. I thought (in my 21st century brain), it would be a lovely photograph. But in this age of photoshopping pictures, it wouldn't even seem real.