10/19/07

Rainbow's Edge

"What you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing..." -C.S. Lewis-




Recently, on my way home from work, I encountered the most amazing rainbow I've ever seen. Like the one pictured here, it was a double rainbow; both spectrums brilliant with color. The sky took on different shades between each segment: outside, inside, and between the two spectrums.

As I drove eastward, it stretched fully across I94 - a giant archway entrance into Woodbury. I called Ed, who was also headed home on 94 and exclaimed, "Do you see it?! There's the most beautiful rainbow stretching over the highway!" He was just a couple miles ahead of me, but he was on the other side of the rainbow - and he couldn't see it.

Though the rainbow always appeared to be slightly east of me, I knew I was passing directly beneath it when the van next to me, and the Holiday Inn beyond it, were covered in rainbow shimmer. Even the wet pavement of the highway glistened in rainbow hues.

Then...? It was gone; I had passed through. And even though I could no longer see the rainbow, I was absolutely certain that it still existed and was visible to the hundreds of cars behind me headed east on 94.

Now, I don't care what MB type you are, there's some kind of metaphor in there for you. My metaphor was pretty literal: faith in God's promises. We believe them even when we don't see them because we've passed through them before and we're confident they exist. And - when it's been a long time since we've seen evidence of any fulfillment, it helps to be a part of a community of Christ-followers where people are in all different spots along the road; we can remind each other that the promises are still there. Still visible to some of God's people somewhere. Still a reality for all of us.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." -Hebrews 11:1-

If you're out there somewhere feeling disconnected, it might be hard to find the guts or the energy... but consider reaching out toward a circle of fellow travelers, k? You're not always positioned to see the rainbow yourself. This community thing is how we do it; we ALL need it - and you're welcome here. And for those of us in a circle, let's keep expanding it, k? Let it go out from here...

7 comments:

erin said...

That's essentially why blogging is so special to me. Good post, lady.

zcoffeegirl said...

V - I have goosebumpers...I think that is the EXACT rainbow that encouraged me this week. It was so vibrant...and it totally encouraged me that God is faithful..that he keeps his promises. Awesome. Love this post...it speaks right to my heart. I think because I've been on the other side recently and needed to be reminded that God is good all the time. Thanks, friend.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for light refraction!

Rachel said...

Clearly Ed is not the same MB type as you, V!

Katie R. said...

I'm believing you and coffeegirl saw the same rainbow. I think it's so wonderful you both posted about it, yet differently. God is pretty cool. I agree with what Erin said too.

LadyD said...

Somewhere, over the rainbow, way up high.
There's a land that I heard of Once in a lullaby.
Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue.
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.
Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops, Away above the chimney tops.
That's where you'll find me.
Somewhere, over the rainbow, bluebirds fly. Birds fly over the rainbow,
Why then - oh, why can't I?
If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow,
Why, oh, why can't I?
* Couldn't resist singing a song- loved your story- Laura

-V- said...

Rachel - keen psychological observation. ;-) We have the introverted feeler thing in common which is nice... But beyond that, we're from two different planets. I'm thankful though; without his steady scientific groundedness I would (probably literally) find some way to be off in dreamer-space somewhere (spending way too much time with my inner committee).

I often think back to that day at Valleyfair with gratitude for you - a best bud who supported my (pretty desperate) lunge toward the Pirate Ship when our clan of choice was headed in the opposite direction. Weird to think about 'what if' sometimes. Thanks for being there...