1/27/08

Turkey, Turkey!

Ever see one of these? My first encounter with a wild turkey was just like this picture. As a child, riding in the car on the way to church when dad slowed the car, and there was an inquisitive turkey face peering his head right into my window! I remember being surprised at how big it was and how curious it seemed...

Today, I saw more wild turkeys than I've ever seen at any one time. Went for a wonderful walk in a loop around a friend's 40 acre lot. The scenery, fields and forest awash in sunlight, was incredible - and made even more enjoyable by multiple sightings of groups of over 50 turkeys that would follow each other in a line (their movement is so interesting; like a graceful, quick and efficient waddle), then fly short distances over fences. So fun to watch.

Few better ways to start a day than crunching snow, sunshine, meaningful conversation and wild turkeys with dear girlfriends. Ahhh.... now for a nap... ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey V...
I was so bummed that I had to leave so early this morning. I rushed to the Phipps only to wait for about 1 1/2 hours before heading to the studio. Would have loved to have gone on that nature hike. Glad to hear that you saw some wildlife.
That was so fun to have you join us for breakfast.

Robert said...

I see turkeys everyday. They don't look like that though.

Willow and Sprout said...

Hey! It's me, and I'm posting an actual message!!! I love, love, love reading your posts!

kristi noser said...

I think "Wlid Turkeys with Dear Girlfriends" could either be a drink, or the name of a rock band.