1/11/08

Flotation Device








(C-girl & Katielady: still processing awesome comments from yesterday - more discussion to come later today...)

V: "Sometimes I feel like I'm standing on a long dock and there's this huge 50-foot tidal wave crashing toward me."

V's Dear Friend: "Yeah, but you forgot to look down and remember that He's put you on a flotation device."

I love how my friend put this... she was right. Sometimes we're right about the tidal wave coming - (though it might only be a 20-footer). But, then we have the opportunity to also envision His preparation on our behalf. We're still, miraculously, safe - for He's given us all we need in the moment. More on this next week.

Psalm 91 (NIV)

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "His is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

8 comments:

Pam said...

I have stood in places where I was convinced that the tidal would wash me away, and all that would be left was the skeleton of a lost heart.

I have felt worthless more times than I wish to admit.

However, I can now say that I am a beloved daughter of God, worth so much to my heavenly Father. I reached a cross roads a few years ago that brought me to this saving place. It wasn't obvious at the time, but I can look back and see that God held me through my darkest moments. We have a Great and Mighty life raft.

Anonymous said...

Amen, pw. I'd love to hear more of your story sometime.

-V- said...

pw - Amen - thanks for sharing your heart! Like kj, I too would love to hear more of your story sometime. This part of the journey seems to hold key discoveries for many of us during our 30's... perhaps the blend of our stories together, all in various stages of progression, could help lead us to a greater understanding of what really occurs here.

Anonymous said...

I have never felt closer to God than I do now. It's because of you V, and I thank God everyday for bringing you into my life and embracing me into your/our wonderful circle of friends.

-V- said...

Groovy, as we talked about on the phone, I'm so glad He is drawing you closer to Him by His Grace and goodness in providing these friendships. It goes both ways as you are one I feel is ahead of me on this path - and He is growing me too because of our friendship. Have a great night!

Shari said...

God has saved me from the "fowler's snare." Looking back on the past year, I realized that I went through a lot of spiritual attack from the enemy. (My husband admits that he did, too.)But, I kept "fixing my eyes on Jesus" - trusting in His way. The strength that He gives to us weaklings is wonderful.

NoOtherName said...

Thank-you to all of you, for being a bright spot of hope today and everyday in my life. You guys are one of my favorite "flotation devices" provided by our awesome God!

zcoffeegirl said...

I'm getting caught up here...this is so true. One thing that my dad said in his sermon on Sunday...was he prayed to God for peace of mind..not because he needed to ask for it so God would give it, but so that God could lavish on him what was already decided and provided and promised. It was already there. He just needed to acknowledge it. (Is. 25, first couple of verses.) God has given us what we need ahead of time. It's like reaching for the pre-purchased ticket right before you step on the train. It's paid for, it's ready, we just need to take it.