1/29/08

Superstitious

I find it ironic that good ol' Webster's has the following definition of 'Superstition' when, in most Christian circles (and perhaps other faiths), the word 'superstition' raises some red flags.



Superstition:

"(1) Any belief that is inconsistent with known facts or rational thought, esp. such a belief in omens, the supernatural, etc. (2) Any action or practice based on such belief."

Though Webster's folly here is a subject for a different post, I share the views of C.S. Lewis, Madeleine l'Engle, Donald Miller, John Eldredge and other Christian art-lovers who recognize the place of imagination and myth in deepening our knowledge of His mysteries; their power in revealing Truth at heart (not just head)-level. God help us when, for Christians, fact, logic and intelligence become enemies of story and imagination, and begin to mutually exclude one another. What drab and hidden lamps we then become...

That said, my intended post for today has nothing to do with faith-building myth, but rather, plain old superstition. (A distinction Webster's apparently can't make). As I sift through childhood, forming mental piles of what to pass on and what to leave within, I'm remembering some favorite superstitions I actually believed at some point during childhood.

NOTE: Don't blame these on my parents; they might have been responsible for some of them, but I can't remember where others came from! :-)

Vampires: Whenever a low-lying fog hangs across the road, a vampire has recently passed by.




Tomtens: Tomtens are a Scandinavian tradition. Helpful and protective, they are secretive peacemakers between farm inhabitants and the wiles of wild woodland creatures beyond. Brilliant in capturing snow-bound rabbit footprints and turning them into a source of unending childhood wonder.



Bears:Bears live beneath sidewalks. Didn't you know? If you step on a crack, you'd better watch your ankles!






Eating Before Prayer: Forget to pray over your sandwich? Better stick close to the bathroom because you won't be feeling well very shortly. Food rots in your stomach if you don't pray over it first.




Santa: And last, but by no means least, Santa, of course! At Grandma's, we kids would rush downstairs to the basement at the prompting of shooshing parents and aunts and uncles... Soon, we could hear the jingle bells, the reindeer hooves, and Santa's black, heavy boots in the kitchen hallway. It was never a problem that Grandma didn't have a fireplace; he knew her well enough to just come on in the front door. When he left? ALL the gifts were beneath the tree... SO fun!

Which ones will we keep? Well, I'd say anything overly fear-based is probably on the outs. That leaves at least two bearded guys... maybe a stray bear or so if I can't resist. :-) I have to say though... even with the fear-based beliefs, there was little long-term injury with years of childhood magic. What superstitions did you buy into as a young child? Are there any you didn't pass on, and why?

14 comments:

Bren said...

The mirror breaking and 7 years of bad luck. I used and sometimes still hold my breath as I pass a graveyard - I do it now just to see how long I can do it and then if my kids do it I slow down just as my dad used to for me.

-V- said...

Bren - I forgot about our tradition of jumping off the couch at New Years... did you know I've continued to do that every year since? :-) I forget - was there any superstition about having our feet off the ground at midnight on 1/1, or was it just a fun tradition?

Bren said...

We jumped into the New Year or was it leaped - Rachel Ch started that and I have passed that one on to my kids for sure!

-V- said...

I thought Rachel might have been behind that... Good job, Rach! :-)

FamilyGus said...

I come from a long line of Italians on my moms side that were very superticious (or stupersticious as my grandpa teases my grandma). There's the black cat-always go in the other direction (my great-grandma would always take another street), drink all the bubbles in your coffee-it means money, also for New years you must eat grapes-this means money as well (funny thing our family's not rich & we've done this for years), and my personal favorite is only eat pork on New Years because pigs snoot forward into the New Year, never chicken because it scratches backwards. Ooo, I almost forgot the man must come in the house 1st on New Years Day. Silly, Silly, Silly, but we still do them. :)

-V- said...

Ha- I've never heard of those and you're my cousin! Italians are cool... :-)

theswamphare said...

I DO NOT live under the sidewalk.

Mark

Rachel said...

I think we started jumping into the New Year with our cousins off my grandpa's hearth, although I don't remember exactly how it started. It gratifies me that the tradition continues! I never thought I'd leave a legacy, but maybe this is it.

I used to think witches lived in purple houses. There was a lavender house near ours when I was a kid, and we rode our bikes past it as fast as we could! I'm not planning to pass that on. . .

Ari stops the car whenever a black cat crosses in front of it, or a white, gray or calico cat for that matter. Drives me crazy! I think we'll get rear-ended one of these days.

erin said...

Bloody Mary scared the youknowwhat out of me. I will NOT be passing that one on.
Sometimes, even now if I'm infront of a mirror in the dark I get the creeps.

erin said...

Oh--and black-eyed peas on New Years Day are lucky.
I don't mind passing that one on.

-V- said...

Swamp Bear... Nice to hear from you! NO biting ankles though. Bad bear.

Kara Jo said...

No stepping on the sidewalk cracks. This was big at school when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

OMGosh! we totally had the bloody mary thing and i HATE being in a dark bathroom still (and i am 33!)

i really thought my mom's back would break if i stepped on a crack, and now my son says it!!

opening an umbrella in the house, WAY bad luck. Knocking on wood to keep a bad omen away that you just said,or something to that affect.

a graveyard at night. enough said.

salt over your shoulder, was that for luck?

those are what i think of off the top of my head.

kristi noser said...

We always used to hit the top of the car when we saw a car with one headlight out.
Oh, the umbrella thing? I opened an umbrella in the house once to tease my sisters about being afraid of it. Later that day I almost cut the end of my finger off. oooooooeeeeeeeeeooooooooooo