1/31/08

12 No More

I used to ice skate. I was okay - competed and stuff, but only until I was 12. I knew three jumps: the bunny hop, the waltz jump, and the half flip. Now, the half flip wasn't really a flip - but it was, like, half an axel or something (I think). You do a full rotation in the air after sticking your toe-pick in the ice and pulling yourself backward. I practiced endlessly; over and over, on land and ice - my body still has the motions memorized.

So today, I'm playing with the dogs outside in our yard - which is ice - hopping around to get warm. And it occurred to me that it might be fun to attempt a half-flip. The following things occurred:

1. Left hip snapped as right leg extended. (This, an unheeded warning).
2. Right ankle clicked and loosened as I pointed my toe.
3. Left knee groaned as it took on my full weight.
4. Left lower calf charlie-horsed as it struggled to propel me backward, spinning.
5. Head felt nauseous and dizzy as body turned sluggishly.
6. The force of gravity somehow increased exponentially since 1986.
7. Right knee crunched and femur threatened to snap upon landing.
8. I staggered, drunk-like, toward the garbage can, my tushi narrowly avoiding a nearby ice-bank.
9. Dogs looked at me with cocked heads, wondering at my loss of sanity.
10. Femur still hurts more than 1/2 hour later.
11. So does my neck.

According to my calculations, this is the only disadvantage of being almost 34, rather than 12.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Vonda, You need to be careful darling. You take it easy tonight and I promise I won't call you during "Lost".
Take care and if there is anything I can do for you let me know. Do you have ice packs?
See you Saturday!

FamilyGus said...

I totally forgot you skated too. I skated compititions & all, all through my graduating year & still couldn't pull off an axel unless it counted when my tushi hit the ice. I just enjoyed the freedom that flying across the ice used to give me (& still do). I took Karlie out a couple of times this year and I had a tough time spinning & keeping it centered. It's probably been only 6 years since I skated, but I too don't remember hearing those clicking noises in my joints back then & I'm 28.

Kara Jo said...

Oh sweetie.

-V- said...

Just so everyone's clear, I was laughing hysterically as I wrote this! (It's the whole physical comedy thing). :-) I'm fine, woke up fine - no worries... what a bunch of mommies! :-)

Bren said...

You used to skate? Many mysteries you are! How does the weekend of March 1 look? Our friend from Chicago is coming then.

-V- said...

bren - looks great - got it tentatively marked... Thanks - can't wait! :-)

LadyD said...

Thanks for the laugh V !
I hope your escapade won't affect your "out of the kitchen" activities...........

(For those of you that think I am a Perv, read P for Perfects comments area):)

Juuuusssstt Jooookkkiinnggg.....

erin said...

Do you need to see x-ray's from Richard's broken femur? No more of this! You're a MOTHER now. No broken femurs.

-V- said...

lauralynn, I'm shocked! ;-) I simply meant... "What we lack in the kitchen... we make up in CLEANING and LAUNDRY!!"

Juuuuuusssstttt Joooookkkiiiiiinnnngg!!!! Thanks for the laugh back! :-)

kristi noser said...

Shoulda gone for the half-nelson on Ed instead. Never too old for the half-nelson.

Emunah said...

Oh, how I WISH I had that on video. That would be hilarious. Then do a close-up on Guff & Dunk's expressions. Ha!