1/15/08

Thanks To Dad

My dad isn't one of those dads you hear about who never gave out hugs or forgot to tell us kids he loves us. He feels things deeply and expresses affection. But he's not one to GUSH about stuff - know what I mean? He's a 'T' - and he says what he means, and means what he says. Beyond that, when it comes to communicating love, he does so most abundantly by serving - working with his hands.

That said, Ed and I have felt well-loved these past 2 years. Almost every Saturday, Dad (and, most Saturdays, mom too) has sacrificed his own personal time and energy - which could be spent on their own home, or his stamp collection - to work, with Ed's help, on turning our deck into a living room addition that will serve as an extra play-area for Eva. He desires nothing in return for this gift (we have to get sneaky with gratitude! ;-), but simply serves in kindness and humility... These gifts of time and amazing skill are ones we couldn't come close to repaying (even if he would let us). So... just needed another way to say 'Thanks, Dad!' - knowing my mom will read this to him. :-)

Also, times are tough right now for just about everyone trying to make a living anywhere in the home business... My dad is THE most skilled carpenter and project man Ed and I have ever known. I'm not just biased; 40 years of experience and an eye for uncompromising quality has earned him great respect amongst his peers for being an expert at what he does. If you find yourself with any finishing, remodeling, or handyman type projects bigger than what you can handle, as tax returns approach the horizon, I know you'd be blessed by giving him a call... (651) 248-3443. Jeff - at Borne Remodeling.

Love you, Dad!

5 comments:

Swirlingeddy said...

I think I took that picture!

It's been a great time, working on the addition and deck with dad-in-law. I've been inspired by his hard work and artistry. His exquisite skill is truly amazing to work alongside. Inspiring and educational. And fun!

FamilyGus said...

My special thought about Uncle Jeff is that when I was very, very pregnant with Karlie & mowing Grandma's lawn your family arrived and he gave me a hug and told me I looked beautiful. I thought that was very special and keep it close to my heart. We'll have to keep him in mind when we start to remodel again. :)

Anonymous said...

I've seen V's dad's work, and I second the kudos she gave him. Seriously, folks, he does a beautiful, detailed job at any project he takes on.

TheKupkaFamily said...

What a blessing to have such handy men in your life. We have off and on plan about our basement, but when we are on again, we will give him a call. Does he know plumbing?

-V- said...

Stacy - with plumbing, depends on what you need done. Feel free to give him a call when you get to that point and see if he can help - thanks for considering!