1/10/08

Fear Busters: A Question of Worth

It was a vivid moment. 1st grade art class and a number of us (yet unaware of the 'uncouthness' of boasting) were arguing vehemently over whose finger-painting was "the best". Then it happened. Pretty, popular Janelle moaned pitifully to everyone present, "Oooh, MY painting is just SO awful..." Immediately, the teacher, and a number of kids as well, chimed in to comfort her, "Of course, it's not awful, Janelle! Your painting is beautiful!". My first exposure to self-deprecation was simple, efficient, and intensely effective; the arrow sunk deep. The whisper to my heart was almost audible, "Do thisssss. Talk low of yourssself, but DO well. You mussst always DO well. You will get what what you truuuly want. I promisssse."

And so it was. And so it is - for many of us. We were kids; did any of us know to watch our step? What starts as a child's natural desire for approval and affirmation turns into habit. The negative messages ABOUT ourselves turn to negative messages TO ourselves. And our messages are not alone; the layers stack up as our voice is joined by hurtful voices of many, many others. And, eventually (it takes some of us longer than others), we can become converts to worthlessness (a preliminary to embracing "worm theology", or spiritualizing shame). The internal progression (though mostly silent to us) goes something like this:

1. I must obey.
2. I must perform.
3. I must always do well.
4. I must be perfect.
5. I can't be perfect.
6. I must hide.
7. I must deceive.
8. I am alone.
9. I am not good enough.
10. I am worthless.

How crafty, the serpent, to deceive a child into surrendering her joy and freedom for a 'must'. Then, use the 'must', to con from her her identity as well. The 'must', the 'should', becomes an 'I am'. The label began in the garden and has been passed down and down and down. We are, in a way, her children, after all. We bear the curse; we too are deceived - and we have chosen it.

Fast forward 12 years. A Christian college; for me, key years in forming my view of God: theology. Relative to the discussion of sovereignty, the professor explained the doctrine of 'Total Depravity', a TRUE TRUTH which, as we embrace it, leads us to the conclusion that we are incapable, in ourselves, to earn eternal salvation. John Calvin writes,

"In self-examination, the search which divine truth requires and the knowledge which it demands will destroy any confidence in our own ability, leave us without any reason to boast and so lead us to submission. This is the course we must follow if we want to reach the true goal."

Now what step (above) corresponds with this doctrine? Step 5. I can't be perfect. In the spiritual realm, I simply do not have what it takes in the way of goodness to get me where I very much want, and need to go.

But what step was I on? Step 10. I'm worthless. And, to my ears, 'Total Depravity' was a miracle to behold! Not only had I been right all along about my worthlessness, but God Himself confirmed it! All I had to DO now (hear the hisss again?) was just keep believing how GOOD He was (true) and, to the same degree I believed His goodness, confess and declare how bad, worthless, depraved, and wretched, I was. And it sounded very humble. And it sounded very wise. I still agree with much of what Calvin says... but looking back, I initially embraced it for all the wrong reasons. What I didn't understand was that the "true goal" Calvin wrote about would have looked more like this:

1. I must obey.
2. I must perform.
3. I must always do well.
4. I must be perfect.
5. I CAN'T be perfect - or even come close (total depravity).
6. BUT, God so loved the world (which HAS worth in His eyes).
7. That He gave His only Son (who WAS perfect).
8. So if I believe in Him, and trust His sacrifice,
9. All my sin and inability no longer earns death for me.
10. I am a new creation in Christ.
11. I have great worth as His beloved child.
12. I am completely FREE in Him.

THIS is the place of the doctrine of sin and depravity in the life of a child of the King. Behind us. Step 5. Do we still sin? Oh yeah. Do we still ask for forgiveness? Yes, definitely. Did sin, before it was destroyed by Him, make me unworthy of God's perfect standard? Oh yes. BUT - did it EVER make me, one created in His image, worthLESS? No. Does my sin have any claim at all to my worth or identity once I trusted Christ and He destroyed it? NO WAY.

So WHY, dear friends, are so many of us still on step 10 of the first list? Why am I still sometimes? SO many reasons. All of them complex. All of them personal. And insisting to ourselves that we get it right - NOW - puts us even further up or down the first list.

But, for those who've made it to this extreme depth down the blog page, with this post goes a prayer that all who read, who struggle with embracing Christ, or your incredible worth in Him - that He will tenderly lead you. May His seed of compassion for you grow up in your own heart. May you hear and believe that He LIKES you, and agree with him in the way you address yourself. You have great worth in His eyes. He LOVES you. And that love is the powerful 'bottom line' in casting out fear, worry and anxiety. Thanks for reading.

11 comments:

zcoffeegirl said...

I agree whole heartedly. I am seeing this in myself and others around me. More and more. So, how do you encourage one to really know who we are in Christ? What does that journey look like? Is it different for everyone, or should it be similar?

Is it a function of reading more of God's word and telling ourselves the truth? What if God's word feels void of feeling? What if it feels like knowledge and you KNOW the answers in your head but your heart hasn't caught up. Is it about feeling his love, knowing it, or both?

What does, "I am a daughter of the King"...mean today, in the midst of daily pain and struggles?

I distinctly remember doing things so my first grade teacher would think I was good enough. So she would think I was responsible. This became a pattern of wanting to please others. Which, really is a form of pride. The opposite of pride in this case would be humility and wanting to please God and not man.

Putting more out there for this discussion..V...I'm starting to see what you're talking about. You did an excellent job of explaining and analyzing where these messages came from.

I feel almost urgent about this topic as it relates to my children. How can I teach them that God loves them and He wants to have a personal, alive relationship with them?

Thanks for a great post. Looking forward to the discussion.

Katie R. said...

Very nice post. It makes so much sense. I wish for my children to learn this lesson. I feel pained when I see my son reacting to things the way I did as a child. I know where that thinking will lead. I so want to spare him as much heartache as possible. Does he have to learn this lesson on his own or will he "get it" with our frequent discussions? I just don't know.

Also, like Sherri, how does the truth get to our hearts? Why can't what's in our head also be in our hearts...at the same moment?

Anonymous said...

I like it, V. You and I have talked about this stuff a bit, and I like your processing of it.
I could open up a can of worms here (in a strongly Calvinist church body) but as I have poured over the Scriptures and wrestled with the doctrine of Total Depravity over many years, I have come to believe that while this doctrine is based on truth (we're sinners who can't save ourselves and are in need of a Savior), it's not entirely accurate in what it ultimately conveys. To me it's always felt kind of sneaky, and is worded in such a way that it's hard to argue with at first glance. This concerns me as this doctrine is the basis which many stake the rest of their theological beliefs on.
Yeah, I've opened up a can of worms. But this stuff has bugged me for years and years, and I've got a passion for God's truth to be known in it's entirety! We're all in the quest for it together. :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. to my previous post. Just wanted to say, V, that I realize you are not criticizing the doctrine of Total Depravity. I am. What I wrote is my own personal conviction. :)

-V- said...

On Total Depravity: kj, wow - thank you for honestly sharing where you stand on this issue. I know it's been an ongoing area of study and interest for you. My prayer is that we continue to feel safe sharing things like that...

If you ever felt like sharing, I would love to better understand the areas you feel are sneaky. Not so I (or anyone else) can attempt to change your mind - but because I'm curious if it's similar to what I'm processing in regards to the issue. My beef seems to be more with HOW and when it's used (or overused); but I'd love to learn what points within the concept itself are problematic for women processing through these kind of issues.

-V- said...

On raising kids: c-girl & Katie... As I am 'in process' with entering motherhood, I share with you a sense of urgency in wanting to raise my daughter in a way that Grace (not fear) is the thing that 'sticks' and forms her most significantly.

Having said that, I feel like I should be asking YOU what that looks like! :-) But here are some points I've added to my list of things to ask God's help with, as we seek to parent our little Eva:

1. That the greatest amount of affirmation we'll give is based on who she is; not what she does.
2. That we'll consistently communicate the 'okayness' of making mistakes (hers and ours), and the value they have in our being able to learn from them.
3. That I'll demonstrate the smallness of fear (in light of His power) by not over-reacting to scary circumstances myself.
4. That I'll avoid belittling or invalidating her fears, instead encouraging her that humans share common fears, and, with Jesus' help, we can move toward them, and through them, together.
5. That her identity, and our love for her, is constant; not able to be destroyed by what she says, does, thinks, or believes.
6. That our discipline will be about shaping her heart in Christ; not insisting on getting my way, venting my own frustration, or pleasing other parents who might judge me.
7. That she will hear Ed and me affirming ourselves and one another; not tearing ourselves down.
8. That I will demonstrate the okayness of making mistakes by not insisting on myself, or those around me always 'getting it right'.
9. That somehow, in each day, we will be able to tie all these ways of living back to trust in God and HIS goodness and abilities, in a way she can understand.
10. That, it would 'sink down' early in us that she is not 'owned' by us, but belongs to Him and, ultimately, He is the one who forms her heart.

-V- said...

On the journey: coffeegirl, again, I would love to hear YOUR thoughts on all the questions you raised in your comments. I'm still so in process with all of it, and a book could be written on each question - but here are some of my thoughts:

1. The journey in general: I think the journey will be different for each of us (since we're all wired differently), but that there will be similar themes. For Christian women, the only three absolutes I can think of about this journey (there may be more) are: (A) It will flow according to His timing, by His hand, in the ways He brings about. (B) Growth may happen more quickly to the extent we are walking WITH others on this road. Including others who are at different points on the road - perhaps even others whose perspectives and beliefs do not fully mesh with ours, and (C) It won't happen without prayer - for ourselves, and for one another.

2. My personal journey: The following is a list of general steps I've been through (not necessarily in this order) so far on this issue - be sure to read to the end:

A. Discussing with pastors.
B. Getting frustrated with myself and with God.
C. Listing out all significant hurts done to me, that I've done to others, and how that shaped me. Asking forgiveness.
D. Writing a contract listing all the negative messages I regularly fed to myself (i.e. 'I'm not good enough), finding Scriptural truths with which to overwrite them, and vowing to do it.
E. Thinking back through circumstances in my childhood in which I was humiliated, and imagining to myself how I would have cared for that child (me) now, if I were there as an adult. How I would have spoken to her.
F. Listing the fears that paralyze me (like singing in public) and 'going down the fear ladder' to get to the bottom of the REAL fear (worthlessness).
G. Seeking out wisdom from a woman who seemed to be where I wanted to get (and having her prophecy over me).
H. Sharing openly with a trusted mentor who didn't shame me through any of my 'stages', and gently nudged me toward my fears (didn't let me run).
I. Listened to and acted on Bill Giovannetti sermons and Thom Rutledge books.
J. Talked to a secular psychologist for 1 hour. Wrote a very overly preachy email to her.
K. (Somewhat pathetically) pursued needed restoration in a key relationship.
L. Got mad at my theology and felt like a complete heretic.
M. Read books by theologians I didn't agree with and learned to disagree without fearing or hating.
N. Made peace with my inner child. (Seriously).
O. Figured out a way to 'chop up time' into palatable sizes, so I wasn't obsessing over future fears.
P. Cried out to God that I had done everything I possibly COULD do, but it still hadn't sunk in to heart-level. Announced that I was giving up because I just couldn't accept who I was in Him. I didn't 'get it', and either He would have to change how I thought of myself, or tell me to sit still and stop trying to change.

He broke through then. Healing began. A-O was not a waste; He used those tools once He 'broke through'. Now it's all coming together... Sher, I'll email you the journal entry that was step 'O'; I think it was key... Thanks for wondering, listening, and contributing.

Anonymous said...

V, thank you, as always, for your grace toward me. And yes, I'd be willing to share more with you about my journey through the murky waters of Calvinism...we can get together over coffee. :)

Though it was kind of a courageous step for me to 'admit publicly' (on your blog!) that I'm not a Calvinist, I don't want to do more harm than good by adding any more snippits on your blog that may confuse or potentially be divisive to folks reading. God is sovereign, and He is good in all He does. We can all agree on that!

Hey, in your comments with the list of letters A-P, I like your letter "M." As I have figured out more and more where I stand, and by what Scriptural basis I take that stance, I, too, have experienced greater freedom from fear & hate for those theologians I disagree with. I haven't arrived yet, though. Still a process for me.

God is doing beautiful things through you my dear friend!

LOL

Anonymous said...

i don't even know where to start. i have tears in my eyes. my heart is burning within me, as i read of the lies i have believed for so long. i am almost 34. lived through hell. was told i was a mistake and that i should've never been born. couldn't do anything right. was terrified of God. Fast forward, i am a child of the King. your post so deeply touched and moved me. too many of us stay in step 10 on the first list.

Oh, God, give us strength to go beyond our pain. We will have pain in this world, Christ promised us that. but the rest of the promise is that we can take HIS yoke, and learn from Him. beautiful really.

i am so rambling! but, your post struck me in a deep, deep place. made me look back as i read it on my own journey, and see myself so much in what you wrote. "But for the grace of God go I." Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.
thank you.

zcoffeegirl said...

What I'm learning....about my questions, V. Taken me a little while to get back to you, but here goes. I've heard this from three different places since I've posted these.

It all goes back to the cross. We have to go to the cross daily....look at what Jesus did for me...remind ourselves that we are bought with his blood...look to Him for daily needs. It is in his flesh and blood that I will be sustained. Not real flesh and real blood, but His word, and through prayer. It is a process on this journy we call life.

I was asking God the other night why does it take us so long to get it? Does this process start all over again with every Christian, as they grow up? Why can't we be mature and understand greater truths right away? I don't know. It seems to be His way. We grow through pain.

There's just so much...that's just a little bit for now.

-V- said...

Hi, Jules - if you're out there and check this, (just saw your comment in email; not on the blog), feel free to use some of the info within this particular post and share the link. Are you a fellow blogger?