2/4/08

Lessons From the Archives

At work, I am known as one who enjoys collecting, categorizing, labeling, filing and retrieving bits of information... but tends to get a little sassy-mouthed when wrangled into moving my precious archives toward destruction. A pack-rat librarian of sorts, you might say.

Nevertheless, in these days of increasing regulation of what can and can't be kept, (and how, how long, and for what reasons), it's getting tougher and tougher to be a pack-rat. Recently, I surrendered, sucked it up, held my breath, and... went through a box of old project folders.

I've been in project management for quite a few years now and have accumulated quite a stash of project notes and remnants. The existence of these old maps to current reality is comforting to me in the following ways:

1. They contain my original thought and decision-making processes. (I can remember why we did something).
2. They recall project participants, so I know who might remember some detail if I can't.
3. My email has to be archived much more vigorously; it's nice to know the paper trail is there just in case.
4. Proof that, yes, we actually have done a certain project three times already in the past decade. I'm not crazy.
5. Provision of mental or structural templates for similar projects going forward.
6. Proof that something has been changed, reinvented, or improved - restored - because I was there.

But about #6... know what I discovered? It hit me when all but 3 folders sprawled dead on the floor after going through the entire box... It's all temporary. In the grand scheme of life, most everything I touch is just a small stepping stone to pass over on the way to the next stone, making my way across the river. Does that stone have to stay there in order for others to cross behind me? No - they'll make their own way. Does it have to stay there in order for me to be safe moving forward? No - it only provides psychological security in looking back at where I've come from. Time blankets our past in layer upon layer of obscurity; even in unwrapping those layers, few things remain truly useful.

I have a plaque in my house that Grandma used to keep in hers: "Only one life; 't'will soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last." True, I think. We just can't get over-zealous about thinking we're in charge of determining what will end up lasting and what won't. I know there's eternal stuff that happens when I'm at at work; but most of it isn't stuff that will be found in a project box a few years from now.

I want what I do down here to matter. Don't we all want that? How will the "project boxes" of my life have meaning in eternity? How will they not stay buried under layer after layer of dusty time? Because what is done for Him, through Him, BY Him will last. If it rests in shadow, He will, one day, uncover it with great Joy and celebration.

What do I do that falls into that eternal category? That's my own private mental post for tonight. You too - think about it... what do you do? What will last? What good do you hope will be remembered? In whose strength is that thing accomplished? Then let it reach beyond ourselves... and let it be done in Love.

4 comments:

Bren said...

The only thing I do that will last is love - God and others. The Beatles are right - love is all you need.

Emunah said...

Hmm...What's in the 'ole project box, huh? This is a good question, V. My literal project boxes are far less organized than yours; I know this for certain without evening looking. Mine are crammed with papers that seemed important at the time (but have long outlived their usefulness) mixed in with stuff I just didn't feel like dealing with when I happened to be cleaning up. I think the boxes show kind of a progression of what I valued at different stages (and some of what I was avoiding :)). And THE transcendent project box? I think you're right about the journey across the river, the river that is the same one we started across but with new water coming across our toes all the time. I've been playing hopscotch on the skipping stones in all those layers of time, looking for what's lasting. I'll definitely be ready for some dry socks and shoes, soon. Further up and further in!

-V- said...

Thanks, dear sisters, for humoring and adding to my metaphors from 'the depths'... :-)

Anonymous said...

just blogged about this on my "women of truth" blog under "life: adjusted, part 1 & 2"
i guess rather than retype the stuff, you could pop over there :)

i do know that i need to be dead to this world and all my STUFF, which is tough for me.
you can find me in the river, find me free.
blessings...oh, i LOVE your daughter's room!!!