12/11/07

Our Favorite Power Tool

I distinctly remember overhearing a conversation 6+ years ago where a number of guys from a core friend group were sitting around discussing their favorite power tools. At one point, someone (I think it was Brian) chimed in wittily with: "My favorite power tool? Wade Prestrud!"


Now, my husband, Edward, is THE most intelligent person I know, and he takes care of me better than the better best. Neither of us are highly mechanical though, and when it comes to vehicles well... let's just say we "need a little help from our friends." Most people do, right? That being said, we have a few favorite human power tools (future post on my dad to come) - and Wade is definitely on that list.

Today's help came in the form of getting me unstuck from a local gas station via jumper cables. (At 156,000+ miles, Ed's car battery was on its death bed and, though Ed had taken great care to juice it for me before lovingly taking my Tribute in for a check-up, the battery finally 'lost its spark'). Wade then went out, purchased a new battery and came to our home to install it. In like 5 minutes. Looking for grease in the garage took him 10. His response to our accolades? "That's what friends are for, right?"

Yes, Wade - but it's not every friend who'd give up their sleeping in on a day off to go beyond 'putting the fire out' and rebuild the house. You're a treasure - thanks again.

How 'bout y'all? Any good Wade stories? OR - when have you swelled with gratitude recently in receiving "a little help from your friends"?

7 comments:

Bren said...

We have had meals for the last 10 days from friends from church - during all the business of Christmas this has definately been a sacrifice for them and a treasure for us!

theswamphare said...

I remember the first time I met Wade; I was working the door at a nightclub when Wade walked up with a pair of jumper cables in his hand. I said "You can come in, but don't start anything.

juuust kidding. I love you guys!

erin said...

I've swelled with gratitude at a lot of emails I've received from blogging friends, recently.
I don't know Wade--sorry.

kristi noser said...

He's like Poppers, only younger.

Anonymous said...

If I may brag on my hubby (Wade) a bit...he is by far the most mechanically talented person I know. He can fix anything. I'm so proud of him.
Also, today I saw another gift in him--his great compassion toward me at the news that my Grandma died this morning. He was so understanding, empathetic and caring toward my hurt and loss.
Thanks, honey, for your tender strength. You da man! I love you.

Pam said...

Wade gave us some helpful advice when working with ancient electrical wires in the house. The BEST things about him is that he shrugs his incredible ability off AND he is always happy to help. Super-kind!

Thanks Kara, for kindly lending him out.

Anonymous said...

Wade helped me out in my short-lived demolition derby career. He came and did some welding for us with a highly inadequate (by Wade's standards even though he'd never say so) welder. Let's just say me and my buddies were in awe of his abilities. Most of the stuff we welded broke on the first or second impact, his more than lasted for the whole thing! Thanks for sharing him with the rest of us KJ!