12/19/07

Looks Like Love

We love having Windsor and Wildfire as neighbors. Their pasture begins just behind our bedroom window, and we have the pleasure of enjoying them as they enjoy one another's companionship. Wildfire is younger and stronger than Windsor; he leads their way to the freshest parts of the pasture, never straying more than 20 feet or so from his dear friend. They nuzzle one another, help each other keep flies off during the summer. And they play... One of my favorite moments from last winter was during a heavy snowfall with large, wet flakes. As I played the piano, I looked out the window to see the two of them on their backs, covered in snow and kicking all fours into the air, wiggling like big puppies wanting a belly scratch.

The next house down, a baby pony runs circles around the older, wiser mares, jubilantly (and not entirely gracefully) kicking up his back heels, testing his height and speed.

Then, speaking of big puppies... can you believe these two? Ed and I stole a glance into the sunroom to find them cuddling the other day. Don't tell anyone though; they'd much prefer everyone to think they're constantly biting and torturing one another. Busted!

I'm always interested to hear the 'natural' explanation for animal behaviors; they say everything has it's purpose, and every purpose is somehow rooted in instinct and survival. But what is it that gets a horse on his back in a blizzard, hooves greeting snowflakes? What kind of instinct has a dog rest his chin sweetly on the shoulder of a reclining friend? Forget the natural explanations this time; I don't want to know. It's Christmas - and it looks like joy and love to me.

5 comments:

FamilyGus said...

I love the pics of the horses & your two very sweet pups. I would never guess they pick at each other. You have a special Christmas, please say hi to you family and wish them one from us too. Just an after thought...is Ed any relation to Art Rankin??? Karlie & I watched Frosty tonight & I think he wrote it. It could be another family claim to fame. :)

Katie R. said...

Looks like love and joy to me, too.

erin said...

Pedro and Kitty are the same way.
They cuddle and sleep together when no one is looking, but when we are around, they would never consider it. I love it. They also groom each other, and when one of them is sick, the other stands guard. It makes me so happy.

theswamphare said...

It is Joy and it is Love and dogs and horses often do it better than the people who stand there watching them without learning how to do it better for themselves.

zcoffeegirl said...

Swampy stole my comment.