12/18/07

On the Road Again...

My soul grows an extra pair of legs this time of year; I start to long for the road. Not in a sad, escapist kind of way; just a road trip. Still - what's up with that? Everyone else is 'home for the holidays'; I'm ready to gas up and fly. Here are a few creative ways I've satisfied this urge through the years:



WTRL Trips:

WTRL = "Where the Road Leads". You give yourself 5 and 1/2 hours, $200, and get behind the wheel. Choose a direction: right or left. And that's the ONLY way you turn. And you only turn when you absolutely have to ('T' intersection or 'exit only'). You don't change lanes. The point is to find the exact destination to which the lane leading out of your driveway leads - in 5.5 hours. Then find the nearest hotel, crash there, and explore a new neighborhood for the first time. Or a familiar one in a new way. I have yet to find my WTRL location from our Hudson house and am itching to do so.

Ocean Emergency Trips:

I've had a number of these via airplane. But the most desperate was the day after Christmas, 1998: a flight straight down I35 all the way to Galveston, TX arriving at 3:30 in the morning Dec. 27th. The beach was the only thing open, and my sleeping bag molded sweetly to its shape. 3 days exploring Galveston, its history and shops, feeling the sun on my face, running ecstatically beside the waves... I was refueled and ready to drive home again.

Drive Down Memory Lane Trips:

This is a trip with someone you know and trust. I did one with my sister this past summer. We drove through the valley where we used to play as children, which is now a housing development; the church we grew up in, now under construction - I got in mud up to my knees, insistent on glimpsing the parking lot. Then, we settled some old scores at our childhood camp near St. Cloud, reminiscing about how stuff used to be - and what things will never change. Afterward, I found my thoughts returning to that day, wishing I could re-live it in every detail.

What about you - any creative road trip ideas to share? If I like yours, I might put it to use soon...

6 comments:

Robert said...

Visiting my old home from when I was growing up makes me wonder how the back yard shrunk.
When I get time I pick a point on the map (within a day's driving distance) that I've never been before and just go. I like to see places I've heard about for so long. Kitty Hawk was one of those trips.

kristi noser said...

V, I get "road legs" this time of year as well. Sometimes I want to escape the stress, sometimes just wanna drive and drive. Gotta love driving.

theswamphare said...

...and my psychologist called me a 'Thrillseeker'. One season I visited Major League Baseball Stadiums: I saw County Stadium in Milwaukee, Old Comiskey Park for the last White Sox/Twins series played there, Wrigley Field where the groundskeeper allowed us to eat our lunch out on Center field where Andre Dawson played, old Tiger Stadium and a few more. It was like heaven.

Pam said...

I am a HUGE road tripper. I have been known to throw the kids in the car and head of to who knows where for the day. I love getting on roads where I don't know where my destination will be. My favorite gift one year was from Andy. He gave me a "road trip" in a bag- a CD from Johnny Cash, a gas card and time to get away. Loved it.

I am amazed at your Galveston story. I'd probably be doing something similar now if I didn't need to feed the kids. ;)

zcoffeegirl said...

This is pathetic, but true. After Christmas, I'd love to send the family on a road trip, and I'd stay home, throw old toys, organize new stuff...and have 3 days alone. Quiet..just me, the Christmas lights and my ipod.

Swirlingeddy said...

I'd like to propose another category: the major epic road trip. Like the time we drove from MN to Seattle, down CA to Sacramento, and back to MN along the southern route through Nevada and Nebraska. Or the time we drove to PA for Chris's wedding, stayed with Elizabeth in Maryland, hung out on the beach in Delaware, and back home with a couple days' stop at the antique mall in Sandusky, OH. I think your Galveston trip would qualify too. Good times!