11/15/07

Ten

So I never really talk about work on my blog - which is a little odd since I'm there almost every day. But with all the emphasis on privacy and confidentiality and ownership and rights and representation and, and, (you know what I mean) these days... Don't want to cross any lines, don't want to accidentally misrepresent, don't want anyone to confuse my message with theirs or vice versa or get reprimanded or fired or sued or less of an annual bonus than I would like. Okay you get it...

But, today, I'm making an exception. I received my ten year PIN. Yes, pin. As in, "I gave you my heart and you gave me a pen!" Only, P-I-N.

I'm aware that I could double this post's kicks and giggles factor if I were to sarcastically elaborate on all the faults, quirks and shortcomings of my job. But, the fact is, I'm very happy with where I am and what I do. (I'd attempt to explain what that is - but I've had about 0.3 people comprehend previous descriptions, and most of them start nodding blankly within the first 10 seconds. To sum up: I'm a compliance person). And in this time of sliding markets and slacking work queues, I have to be honest with you: I'm SO thankful for an occupation that doesn't just 'occupy' but actually uses many of my gifts while keeping me interested, engaged, and consistently challenged. A LOT of people don't have that.

In the early years, my attention span for one role would last about 6 months; then I would wait another 6 to apply for a different position. After 7 positions, 5 managers, 7 computers and 6 cubicles, (only 3 phone numbers!), my answer to, "So how do you like what you do?" has gone from, "Well... I won't be doing this forever," to, "I really like it - it's a great fit for me, and I'm thankful to have found this niche."

Did I get 'sucked in'? Hmm - Umbridge still tries to convince me of that sometimes. But I disagree with her. There's good purpose in my being here; it continues to uncover itself each day. I have solid, trusting relationships and a 'voice' to impact my environment. They've treated me well and allowed me substantial flexibility and independence, accompanied by a decent wage. Plus, I get to wear jeans every day. And - I don't have to be an extravert very often. Most importantly, they understand that my personal life does, and will continue to, come first.

Sometimes the road leads where we don't expect. And the places we discover are grander than we would imagine. Thanks for keeping me aboard through all the 'stages', company - and for investing in me along the way. It's been a good 10 years.

5 comments:

Katie R. said...

Congratulations! Well done.

erin said...

Good for you, V! I wish I knew what it was like. : )

Bren said...

Nice 'Say Anything' reference! Congrats on the 10 years!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations V. I feel the same way about my job. You have such a wonderful ability to put many of my thoughts into words.

zcoffeegirl said...

Congratulations...what a gift to find a job that you enjoy.