11/4/07

Celebration

Our house is on a hill; a wide horizon surrounds us where, on warm, July nights, we are often able to watch multiple fireworks displays happening simultaneously.

November isn't usually a big fireworks month though, so I was surprised and delighted to look out the window at 11:15 last night (10:15 depending on when your clocks went back), and see a really beautiful display, relatively close by. Not just the silly ones you put off in your yard, but a really decent bunch. It was beautiful - and reminded me of all the things there are to celebrate. Yes, Eva for sure... and also:

- A quiet weekend.
- Coffee, cookies, and heart-level conversation with dear friends over lunch.
- Hudson's free weekend fingerprinting for adoptive parents.
- Friends who love deeply, with words and actions, and know how to share joy.
- The freedom to write what I think, and to share it.
- The earthy smells of autumn.
- Doggies who curl up together sweetly as we movie-lounge on the couch.
- Fridays off.
- Sermon pod-casts.
- A walk with Ed.
- Ancient gerbera daisies...

This is the proverbial tip of the iceberg. It's the little stuff, isn't it? It's all a gift. Fireworks are always appropriate... Thanksgiving is coming up - let's practice: What's one thing in your world that deserves fireworks today?

6 comments:

Robert said...

I love the four day weekends that we get in the military.

Anonymous said...

just knowing I have you as a friend

and I celebrate the fact that I found my center island today after sorting through a weeks worth of clutter that has collected upon it...

Pam said...

For today:

-left over Halloween candy
-hiking trails
-bottlebrush grass
-chili and homemade bread
-putting the garden to bed
-weekend with nephews
-husband who put in new light fixtures
-warm bath

Bren said...

My hubby who loves me even though I have been crabby!

Anushka said...

i loved today ~ playing "sailing to England" with little T in the hammock with sun our our faces, (land ho!!! The boat, she's tipping matey, every man for himself!!!) stringing first Cristmas lights, Chai tea, teaching J to goalie with soccer, 2 cats who follow me around and wait for me to sit so they can cuddle, Jim's fajita's for lunch, cutting deep red mums to vase on the table. thanks, God.

erin said...

I'm thankful for good friends.
I forget I have them sometimes until we're all standing in the garage divvying up stuff that one family can't use anymore.
It's a silly thing, but it's so fun to be a "young married" sometimes. : )