11/2/07

Note to Eva

Last week, I promised - and here she is...! One of my less vocal committee members is a 13-yr.-old version of me; we'll call her 'TeenV' (a.k.a. "Bangs"). Despite the bangs, glasses, sweater, and a number of other less obvious issues, TeenV is actually a sweet, conscientious and remarkably intelligent little thing. And, since she had the honor of writing the first-ever note to my children (her future children), I'm honored to introduce her and give her a voice. Go, TeenV!! Her note (scrawled in turquoise pen with hearts over 'i's and bubble exclamation points on a ripped-out triangle of lined notebook paper), has somehow survived 20 years and 10+ moves, and surfaced recently in my bedside table. It reads:

"Kids,

This sounds pretty funny to me right now because I don't know who you are yet or even who I will marry yet, but anyway - Someday, I'm going to read this letter to you when you get sent to your room because of something that seems unfair or hurts a lot. Right now, I am SO upset! I'm 13 yrs. old and my mom has sent me to my room. I feel like such a dork! I was fixing some pudding for our family - me, mom & dad, Jeremy, & your Aunt Valene (that's weird!!) and I told Valene not to tell mom because it was a surprise. Well, you may or may not know this already, but little sisters are pains in the behinds & she told! ;-) I got mad and "accidentally" smacked her. So, here I sit in my room feeling miserable. Someday, I will be able to remember what I feel like now and help you!

I (heart) you! (heart on the bottom of the exclamation point).

Mom"

Well, hopefully 20 years has equipped me with some better parenting and conflict resolution skills - but we all start somewhere, right? Good job, TeenV, way to make a contribution! And, wow, you sure do know how to fix some bangs...

18 comments:

Pam said...

Oh man. Where to begin? I think I have a photo nearly like this off in some box, sans glasses. I feel for you.

I kept a few notes written by my teen self; one of which describes my future husband. A cowboy from Kalispell, Montana. He was going to be tall with really dark hair. I had dreams of moving west...

-V- said...

Dreams that could yet come true, yes? Better stick with the cowboy you got though... ;-)

erin said...

TeenV, you are very, very cute.
GrownV, You are a much braver woman than I.

-V- said...

Hm - is "brave" the word? One might wonder... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Now that's an N! Planning for children 20 years ahead -

Robert said...

Wow! Those old pictures are crazy. I know of one I'll never be showing other people. Bad. TeenV's a smart one though.

Bren said...

Great picture! Great story! I really never saw as the violent type though. Nerdy, but not violent - j/k, man, I am going back to jr high!

Anonymous said...

V,

Your teen self is just so darn cute. I am so comforted by the fact that you smacked your sister! I punched mine in the stomach once and it made her throw up.....yikes.

-V- said...

Only a 'bestie' could see the 'cute' in a Jr. High picture... :-)

Bren - you go girl! I HATED Jr. High though so am happy to stay put. It's very possible, however, that when I get older, I will wish I could return to 33... :-)

Anushka said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHOHOHOHOAAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHGHHH!!!! just don't pee your pants on this one, nush--- you are so funny and so darling, v. your bangs and your intelligence defy time, space, and gravity. You are officially at the top of my comedian list. love ya!

Anushka said...

p.s. i did bite Amy's big toe once. REALLY HARD. poor thing. She picked the best fort behind the big gold chair before i could swoop in and claim it (in usual big sister bully style.) sorry, Am!

zcoffeegirl said...

TeenV..you have the coolest glasses, because I had the exact. same. ones! And the bangs..they rock. The best part is the window into your heart so many years ago. God did an incredible job when he thought you up before the creation of time. And, I'm so honored to know the 33 year old version. Thanks for the window.

Anonymous said...

Wow...as the little sister who got smacked I'd have to say that you probably deserved to go to your room:) I don't remember that at all...but I guess I'll forgive you. Next time you make pudding for us, I promise I won't tell. Love ya.

-V- said...

Ha! Whew - I'm glad you weren't scarred for life, Val. Thanks for forgiving me. Sadly, I probably haven't made pudding since then... ;-) Love you too (Auntie Val)! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll expect some pudding then for our thanksgiving dinner. It's about time you make some more. I won't tell mom;)

theswamphare said...

love the photo; glad to see that you escaped whatever that was on your head...

Hmmm, my teen-me wouldn't have been writing anything that would make it through my screening...I think I might blog on this...

Anonymous said...

This is the best blog post I have ever read. Not even a competition really. Funny, touching, it has it all! As Ed would say, "Keep up the good work."

Emunah said...

Wow, V, this is a few years before I met you, I think. What a picture - I couldn't even laugh I was so flabbergasted! A note to your children when you were sent to your room - it shows the same endearing characteristics of you that have endured all these years. Ha! It makes you wonder what Eva will be like when she gets sent to her room. :)