3/4/08

Wiggle

A recent 'Upnorthica' post showed master craftsman, Mors Kochanski, making a hunting bow. It took him just a minute to craft the bow and attach the string to it.

It seemed the most time-consuming part of his art was prepping the tool for use. Mors explained the importance of repeatedly pulling the string away from the bow, creating tension, and bending the wood - then letting it return to shape again. The repetition of this pulling, this tension, makes the wood more flexible prior to use. If one were to place full tension on a bow that hadn't been stretched, the bow would snap.

I'll be honest... this wait for Eva has gotten tough again. Oh, I trust Him. I know He's good. But I feel stretched out over the span of 3 years. I feel the bending of internal fibers each time I enter her room without full assurance that she's ours. The pull of tension when my throat lumps up at the sight of a toddler - or even randomly at work. Often, I've questioned, "Why the repetition? Why are we at this same place again? And again?"

But this video was a tangible reminder... the Master Craftsman hasn't taken His tender, expert Hand off me. The stretching is uncomfortable - at times, it feels like more than I'm ready for. In my humanness, I tire of the back and forth, back and forth of brief movement vs. waiting. But there's purpose in it; He knows I'll need this flexibility later on. Isn't it true that the further the bow can flex, but still snap back to shape, the stronger a tool it becomes?

I like this concept; have been chewing on it from different angles. With life, it seems there's 'wiggle' in a lot of things - a back and forth motion that's part of learning to find our 'groove' - the flexibility it takes to grow up and stop insisting that everything is either good or bad, right or wrong, useful or wasteful. Don't get me wrong - SOME things are. Just not everything. That's the point.

Maybe we all learn to 'walk' with a bit more of a 'wiggle' as we get older...

5 comments:

Katie R. said...

You're good -v-. I know waiting 9mos. for our babies seemed an eternity at times. I can't imagine the difficulty of being patient through the adoption process. That first hug and kiss will be so precious. Hang on, you are such a wise Mama and Eva will be greatly blessed.

Bren said...

You remind me that I need to give the 'wiggle' room to my kids and to appreciate them more. I am praying for your patience and that Ed will be your comforter and shoulder to cry with or sigh with when needed!

Willow and Sprout said...

Oh friend! I love you.

LadyD said...

Beautifully said.

I love hearing the Mom's side, after being in the adopted child's place~

God knows the time that is right for Eva. As well as the right time for you~

It won't be long now........
L.

TheKupkaFamily said...

I wish I had the perfect words to say. All I know is that I have a love for you and my heart goes out to you during this time. I am praying for you and Ed.
V- You are amazing. Thank you for sharing what you have learn. Aren't those lessons learned become such gems. They are prescious gifts from our Father. You can feel them working deep down.
Love,
Stacy