3/7/08

What's In A Name?

I have a unique name. For that reason, newly meeting people often leads to questions about whether it's a family name, or has some other significant meaning. The answer, as I understand it, is that I was named after Vonda Kay Van Dyke (pictured here).



I don't know much about Vonda Kay except that my mom (Vonnie) was impressed with her beauty, grace and talent as she (my mom) watched 'Miss America' on TV as a young teen. My mom decided then and there that, if she had a daughter, she would name her Vonda. And so it came to be.

Growing up, I always liked my name. It was different and unique - and I sensed that I was different too, as a person, so it seemed fitting. Plus, it had a story behind it; my mom had dreamed of me before I was ever born. I really liked that.

To test how unique my name really is, I searched Google to see what it would come up with. Here were some of the results:

Vonda, the Cottage Style:






Snoho Vonda, the Flower







Vonda Shepard, the Singer/Actress









Vonda, the Collie Dog
(There's also at least one Rotweiler by this name)










Vonda, the Ancestor








How about you? Any cool history or story behind your name? What does Google have to say about you?

8 comments:

Joey said...

Type my name into Google and you get a lame spin-off of Friends.

However, my name does have a story. My dad saw a movie when he was around 15 called Something for Joey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_for_Joey).

My dad decided he was going to have a kid named Joey. And that's why I'm Joey and the junior in our family is younger than me.

kristi noser said...

V, remember that Vonda I grew up with? Her mom's name was Vonnie too. oooooooeeeeeeeeooooooooooo

LadyD said...

Mine is Boring.
Shoot.
I am just named after my Dad's Mom who died in chidbirth while having his 2nd brother.
His Mom's name was Laura Marie-
So I am Laura Lynn~
I like it WAY better than Tina.
When I found my birth mom she told me my name was Tina Moldenhauer- Anything is better than that!

Kara Jo said...

Glad you weren't named after the Rotweiler.

I know I've told you this, but I had a friend growing up who was named Vonda also. She was also named after Vonda Kay Van Dyke, and she was the first Christian friend I ever had. (Years before I was ever a Christian.) So neat that God placed TWO amazing Vonda's in my life whom He has used so much to help me see an accurate picture of Who He is!

FamilyGus said...

My dad claims the first time he heard the name Jennifer was when my mom told him right after I was born. They had talked about naming me Rachel. So he was very surprised. She had decided I wasn't a Rachel. You know my dad & his story telling. Thank goodness I was a Jennifer. I like this name. I love hearing how others got their names.

Pam said...

I am named after my mom's two best friends who she meet doing camp ministry in Montana. The middle also doubles also my mom's middle name. I really admired the woman who I shared my first name with. Growing up she regularly sent me encouraging notes with scripture that influenced my faith so much.

Pamela Kae

Tia said...

I was named after my Great Aunt Dolly. But they called her Tia. Cuz Tia is aunt in spanish. marie is my mother's middle name. So no I wasn't named after the drink.

I used to hate it cuz it was so different...but now I don't mind it so much. Thanks MOM!

Anonymous said...

Valene Ewing from Knott's Landing (soap opera)
Valene Maharaj-Current Miss Trinidad and Tobago
Valene Smith-professor of anthropology at Cali State Univ.
Valene Baskfield-school counselor in Colorado

There's a lot of Valene's out there. Every one of them was smart and beautiful. I think I fit my name well...:)