3/25/08

5 Years Home

5 years ago, on March 26th, we moved into our newly-constructed home here in Hudson. I remember little things: putting Guff's bed in the corner of the master bedroom for the first time, romping barefoot on the new 'soft-touch' carpet, Martha buying kitchen-organization accessories, Kara doing the linen-closet...

Months before that, the night before the construction crew broke ground, family and friends had gathered to pray on the still-dirt-floor of what would later be the center our living room. I remember Ed leading out in prayer for our family, our pastors joining in, Wade asking for safety for us during long commutes to and from work...

My most vivid memory is of the very first morning waking up in our home, looking out our sunny bedroom window. I had never seen so many bluebirds in one place, congregating joyfully on the old fence separating our back yard from the horse pasture. And I had never been so sure I was home. In church later that morning, my eyes welled up with tears of gratitude.

Thanks, God, for the 'homes' you make for us, wherever we go. For the Home that will, one day, be the culmination of all that comforts us. And thank you for bluebirds; that has been an amazing touch.

6 comments:

Anushka said...

"i had never been so sure i was home..." i love your words, and i love your home, too... (especially the creative loft space!)

swirlingeddy said...

Hey, you're right! Wow, it's been an amazing half-decade. I love this place.

theswamphare said...

Nice! Such evocative, poetic writing.

Willow and Sprout said...

I love your home. I remember your moving in as well. One memory I have is John doing your new address on your mail box. You have done a great job of creating an environment that is restful and nourishing for the soul. I know at many different points the land around your home has really been a wonderful refuge as well. Congrats on 5 years!

Kara Jo said...

Glad to have you here. I vividly remember those days as well--the night we all gathered to pray over your land, and then moving in day with all of us joining in to welcome you to H.

Little did I know my family and I would end up getting to live with you for a summer in that beautiful cozy home of yours!

You guys are a blessing and you continually use your home to bless as well!

Love you!

NoOtherName said...

I remember the night you and Brandy took me out to your land for an "intervention".

The Lord only knows how glad I am that you are only 12 minutes away, my friend!