4/4/08

Piano Guts

In this age of sophisticated tools and technology, I often wonder at the number of things I use, on a daily basis - yet have no idea how or why they work. TVs, microwaves, CD players, computers, thermostats, cars... the list could go on and on. Someone built them; someone knows how they work - or at least parts of them. But not me - I don't have to. I'm just a 'user'.

My piano is one of those things. Today, as it was dismantled and rough-tuned, I found myself in awe of the masterful complexity of all the parts; the dance of cause and effect that produces melodies and harmonies, and spurs my imagination and creativity. The wood, metal, nuts, bolts, screws, wires, felt, that all work together for one purpose: producing sound.

There are a million metaphors here - and at least 7 good ones. But I'm not going there today; just appreciating piano guts. And to the list of these every-day miracles, I add internet searches. I can look up a random term like 'piano guts' and find a host of appropriate blog pics at my fingertips.

It's the little things.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I always like finding out how things work. So cool!

TheKupkaFamily said...

I love to watch the piano "hammers" (I don't really know the right name for them) hit the strings while I play. The piano is amazing and beautiful.

It is a crazy thought to try and think of all the things we use and don't know how they work. It reminds me how much I don't know. I guess I don't really care all that much to know how everthing works, I am more into trying to figure out what makes the people around me tick.

swirlingeddy said...

"A million metaphors . . . at least 7 good ones."

When was the last time I told you how much I loved you?

Anonymous said...

just going there with all the metaphors, but won't bore you with them!! beautiful really, piano guts. wish i could play!

-V- said...

Ha! Jeanette - you and I have never had the pleasure of meeting... but know that you could NEVER bore me with metaphors. I love them! Just was trying to simplify for the day; I'm over it though. :-)