4/14/08

Chickorsage




















We TP'ed one anothers' houses, partnered on science projects, signaled truckers from choir-tour bus windows, alternately supported and despised one anothers' boyfriends. We stayed up beyond all reasonable hours at slumber parties, jumped off couches at midnight, passionately 'Pollyanna'-preached to one another the damnable evils of smoking (okay - that was just me), passed notes during chapel, got in 'fights' over ridiculous issues and made up again... cried at one anothers' graduation parties.

We commiserated college roommates, bragged about how far we'd pushed the boundaries, tried to keep our grades up, and kept one anothers' darkest secrets.

We joked about what we would say as we emerged from the bathroom in sexy lingerie on our wedding nights, planned one anothers' wedding showers and had roles in each others' 'big days'. We celebrated together the fun of decorating a first apartment, applauded one anothers' house purchases, compared notes on good car buys - and whose husbands spent more time with the PlayStation.

We sent updates and Christmas cards and pictures of our growing families, we came to understand and accept one anothers' similarities and differences. We watched one another grow up and become more beautiful in confidence and wisdom.

So on Sunday, as these 4 precious, long-time, girlfriends presented me with 'The Chickorsage' (made of toddler socks) lovingly crafted by Yvonne's mother for this anticipated occasion, my eyes flowed over with the weight of bearing such an honor.

As I am the last to join this sacred 'sorority' of motherhood, these sisters showered my daughter with generous gifts... and showered me with the wisdom they've earned through years of being moms. With exhortation to hold to Jesus, to abide in and find my strength in Him. I could not have been more deeply touched.

So many profound nuggets were shared at my shower Sunday, I can't possibly remember them all. But based on their long-time knowledge of who I am, each woman had her own nugget of truth to present. Here are some I'll long cherish:

1. Embrace the pink. She's a girl - there's no getting around it. :-)
2. As an introvert, mothering an extravert is more fun than you might imagine.
3. Cherish every moment. Live in the present and appreciate every stage for its own beauties.
4. It goes fast.
5. Nurturing my daughter is now my ministry, my work.
6. Stay connected. Pick up the phone or send an email; moms need other moms.
7. "Repeat after me: She's THREE." The pain is temporary.
8. Time-outs have worked fine for us.
9. Abide in the Lord. He is the vine - the source. Start each day with Him.
10. 'Have grace on thyself.' I will make mistakes without forever ruining my child.

Thanks, sweet friends for making this long-awaited milestone so memorable. What a gift to still know those who have known my heart through all its transitional shifting of shapes and sizes - and who stuck around through it. I'm realizing these days: much of the shape my heart is in now... He's used you to shape it.

8 comments:

Bren said...

I never knew I was going to be sisters to such a white group of women! That is what we have become, family. I pray it stays that way.

Kara Jo said...

Thanks for the beautiful post, Vonda. My eyes are welling over, too, with the precious weight of the honor being bestowed upon you.

And I'm so excited that it's your turn now!

Katie R. said...

I am so excited for you Vonda. This is so exciting. What a blessing you will be to Eva. I am so happy you have what sounds like an awesome group of friends to walk with you through this next adventure. Yeah!

Rachel said...

It was great to share in your shower ("corsage" and all)! Thanks for your openness and honesty about your experience with this process. Let us know how we can keep supporting you in the days ahead.

erin said...

Thanks for #5. I needed the reminder.

-V- said...

Erin - you can shoot that reminder right back in my direction in a few months... :-)

Willow and Sprout said...

Vonda, I'm SO excited watching you move into motherhood. I am always so moved by the way you describe experiences and emotions. You have a beautiful unique voice and perspective that makes others feel so naturally included. I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts as you are united with your daughter. Thanks for sharing your process.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so you HAVE to send me the picture of the corsage! SERIOUSLY! I need it for our family scrapbook!Too fun!
There are tears in my eyes reading our growing up together. Your words are so beautiful!!!
Honestly, the impact of the day hit me when Yvonne put the Chickorsage on you, and you got tears in your eyes and said, "I'm just so happy to finally get my own corsage!" I teared up too!
We all are so thrilled that you are going to be a Mommy! Your time has come! Praise God! LOVE YOU!!!