5/5/08

Whew!















It's alive!! The happy orange Iris is the glory of my garden when it's in bloom... It's the only truly orange (not peach, etc.) Iris I've ever seen - and the only one of its kind in the random greenhouse sale dump-pile where I found it last year. Last June, I'd planted it just before it went into full bloom, so I was concerned about whether it would return this Spring.

Whereas my new blue/purple bearded Iris has more green on it than anything else in the garden, this treasured orange one had remained brown and dead until last week when a tiny green leaf poked up. The dogs promptly stepped on it and it turned brown and died. But now there's another one! I'm guarding that hope-leaf with my life... :-)

3 comments:

Careangel said...

Isn't it fun to watch the plants emerge? I am working really hard to keep the deer from eating mine. They seem to love the brand new growth. I'm hoping I can win this battle--since they already chewed much of the greenery off the landscape bushes.

Robert said...

Ahhh Springtime...

FamilyGus said...

My poor little plants are so confused. We finally got rid of all the snow for a second time. Then yesterday it was 50 for most of the day. Dad even spent time out at the farm raking, pruning, etc., by the time he made it home 30 out and it snowed for about 15 min. What is going on!!! I love iris', -V-, make me think of Grandma. Your orange one is absolutely beautiful!!!