5/24/08

The Fullness of Time














I can feel the miracle of the knitting-together of you,
in a secret place beyond myself -
where science can't define, nor moral judge.

No act of man and woman overshadowed
the fruit of dreams and prayers all intermingled,
stitching what is permanent; not flesh, but love of you.

The kick of you is felt a world away -
no swelling of a breast, but of our hearts.
Emerges, the awareness of His forming
in these moments where a new forever starts.


(By -V-, 8/23/07 - the first day I 'knew' without knowing).















And so it is that our full-blooming tulips truly do announce the long-anticipated assurance that Eva is, indeed, our precious daughter. We have been granted guardianship and are planning travel within the month! We received the news on the 22nd (Ed's b-day) - we believe God has done all of this, and we celebrate with full hearts. And because we've been in the midst of what He's doing, we've been witness to pieces of HOW He's worked; I view it as my joy, and my job, to testify in what I know of His amazing work:

1. Weeks ago, as I prepared for Ed's b-day party scheduled for yesterday (with 30+ family and friends), I simply prayed that we'd be able to announce the good news at that time.

2. Sunday the 18th, a sister was compelled to seek prayer with a prayer minister at the front of their church. Together, in tears, they cried out to God to remove any remaining obstacles and, specifically, to bring Eva home by this time next month.

3. Monday the 19th, an aunt called my mother to share that she had had a dream about Eva - she and I happy, together, on a blanket. She woke with assurance that it would be soon, and shared that with my mom.

4. Monday, a dear friend's heart was led - she dropped to her knees in prayer to ask that Ed and I would receive the assurance of Eva's coming home by his birthday (the 22nd).

5. Monday, another dear friend began having dreams about Eva and me which recurred through Wednesday. She called me Thursday (before we announced) to share this - and it was all I could do to keep the secret till our announcement yesterday!

6. Another friend shared that she was 'distracted' with prayer on behalf of us, and Eva this past week. That she was called to especially pray for the remaining paperwork to wrap up - for the success of angels to intervene in a situation we could not control. Her faith (and ours) was strengthened as we got the news in response to these specific prayers.

7. Tuesday, I shared our story with a Christian friend on my business trip who promised to pray for us - and to add us to his church's prayer list.

8. Wednesday, as I returned from AZ on a business trip, I read a chapter on emotional needs in an adoption book I've been reading. Eva's soon coming-home was impressed on my heart as I could clearly see in this chapter ways He's shaped, not just these past few years, but our lives and marriage, to be the parents of this precious girl. Her homecoming ceased to be a question for me on that plane ride home.

9. Many close friends 'knew' in a way you can know without knowing that the time was imminent - the 'feel' of the waiting had changed.

10. As Ed got the call on his cell phone Thursday (his b-day), he knew what the call was for before being told. As he called to share the news with me, the weight of so MANY years of waiting lifted off me and I cannot even describe (outside of hyperventilating from crying too hard) what that feels like.

I could write books on all He's done throughout this process of waiting. So much of it good, so much of it, honestly, tough. Worth it all? Absolutely - every step. But a journey that, (as on all faith journeys), can get tiring and confusing - with limited 'visibility'. As we celebrate, there are still others who wait. Some waits have been even longer than ours, and my heart goes out to them with deep compassion. If you know someone in this place, please pray for them whole-heartedly as you have prayed for us. Please support, encourage, and listen - as you've done for us. And, though it is only an attempt to graciously relate, please avoid informing them of the other couple you know whose adoption process was complete in 3 weeks... or advising them that domestic adoption is much easier, when they have chosen international. Sure, they're strong - they can handle it... but, despite all good intentions, not everything (seemingly) relative is beneficial.

As we celebrate this peak point, we are, simultaneously, aware that in the grand scheme, this is a beginning of another long journey of faith that may require even more patience, strength, and trust. Parenthood is not for wimps, as they say. In coming months, we too, will need your grace, patience and continued support in prayer and encouragement. Thank you for being our community and family.

That's about all, I think. We'll let you know travel dates when we know them - but blogging will thin out for awhile from here. SO much to prepare! Once we return, I'll try to do at least weekly updates on our family's transition. Blessings on you all and thanks for reading!

P.S. The title of the poem above (written exactly 9 months prior to this week's announcement - and recorded and dated, in pen, in my journal)? 'Conception'. Hmmm.

11 comments:

Robert said...

I hope I get to see her when I stop up there.:-)

FamilyGus said...

Beautiful!

Katie R. said...

Oh if I could just hug you!!!! Thank you Jesus! Congratulations and I have nothing else I'm so happy for you both. Yeah Jesus!!!

Eva's coming home, yipppeeee!

Katie R. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Praise God!!!
love and Hugs

Naomi said...

Oh what a wonderful God! Praise hime for uniting your family at last! What an incredible story God has woven together over the past few years, and especially the past week. We look forward to welcoming Eva!

Emunah said...

I am in convulsions about the poem and your 'pregnancy' and this glorious birth process. Amen and amen.

Kara Jo said...

Words cannot express how overjoyed I am at this news! Glory be to God!!!

zcoffeegirl said...

It is so evident that God LOVES adoption....beautiful story...love you guys.

Willow and Sprout said...

I could hardly read most of the words through my tears. I'm so happy for you. It has been so deeply moving to catch glimpses of your story. Thank you so much for sharing your heart and your life. Thanks be to God.

LadyD said...

Is it time to go?
Is it time to go yet?
Is it? Is it?
Ack!
We keep checking your blog every day, we are so excited for you. The time of waiting has gone by so fast. I feel like we are sitting on pins and needles, so I can't even imagine how you are feeling!

Sunday in church Mikayla leaned over to me and said, "Is that the Mom going to get her daughter soon?" "She really gets into it when she sings!"
:)
You're gonna be a great Mama Vonda~