5/4/08

B.U.H.D.

Back. Up. Hair. Dryer. Never be home without one. Well, at least not when you plan to be at church at 7:30 AM to lead worship all morning...





Leaving for work with wet hair? It's been done. Friends and family gatherings? No big deal. Even Saturday night church service might not have been a complete disaster. But Sunday morning?? Oh, the sinking feeling in my stomach as I turned on the (20+ yr. old) hair dryer to hear only a lifeless click. Double checked. Triple checked. Tried multiple outlets. Pried off filter to clean and quadruple check. Dead. Dead. Dead.

So the following phone conversation occurred at 6:30 AM, upon my realization that I had no other options:

DIALING: 1 ring... 2 rings... 3 rings... 4 rings... (uh oh) 5 rings...

JASON: Um...ullo?

VONDA: Hi, Jason - it's Vonda. I am SO SO sorry to be calling right now. Can I talk to Michele?

JASON: Oh, um... is this an emergency?!

VONDA: Yes.

MICHELE: Vonda!! Are you boarding a plane for India?!?

VONDA: Um, no... Ah... My hair dryer's dead and I have to leave for church in 1/2 hr.

MICHELE: (Spunky laughter...) You. Coming here. Letting yourself in with the garage code. Coming to my bedroom and getting the dryer out of the bathroom drawer. Bye.

V's RELIEVED COMMITTEE MEMBER: THANK GOD!! :-)


May we all have friends whose bathrooms we can raid for hair emergencies in the middle of the night...

Oh - and B.U.H.D. also stands for a favorite napping stance on an amazing (finally sunny!) afternoon at Perch Lake:

Blankets
Under
Happy
Dreamers

2 comments:

Pam said...

That is funny. I haven't owned a hair dryer in at least 10 years.

Kara Jo said...

Cute post!

PW, that doesn't count...you have naturally curly hair. :) (adorable, BTW)