7/24/08

Things I Love About Motherhood










In no particular order...

-Tickling and cuddling.
-Peeking in her room while she's asleep.
-Rocking and singing before nap and bed.
-When she discovers something new, points, and starts teaching us about it.
-Eating healthier, and more frequently.
-Toweling off after her bath-time.
-Discovering Ed is a 'natural' at fatherhood. Watching him lead.
-The joy of surprise when she says a new word.
-Feeling balanced and happy at a time I expected chaos.
-Feeding her a bottle of warm milk after her nap.
-More intentional daily structure. (Feeling more rooted to reality).
-Watching her fears melt away.
-Accomplishing housework. (I know - weird).
-Pretending to put make-up on her, to appease her.
-Watching her run to show Daddy a new outfit or piece of jewelry.
-Doing things with increased sense of purpose and intentionality.
-Dora the Explorer bubble bath.
-Her singing in the carseat, in Malayalam (she needs no radio).
-The little thing she does with her lips on my neck when I rock her before bed.
-Watching as her defenses go down around friends and family.

Prior to our traveling, so many reminded us to cherish every moment. So far, that has been very, very easy... Thank you is not a big enough word for all the prayers, love and support you all have lavished on us. Please know that it's all been so very fruitful...

Thanks for your patience with the blog posts (or lack thereof). I often need to choose between naps and blogging - and naps are winning out so far. :-)

13 comments:

Pam said...

V- that is so wonderful and sweet. Thanks for reminding me what a privilege and blessing it is to be a mommy.

Bren said...

I love naps! I never did without kids but naps are great! Glad to see all is going well!

Willow and Sprout said...

What a wonderful list. Mostly, it's little stuff that reminds us of the greater whole...

I love that the naps are winning - even though I can't get enough of the blogs!

Anonymous said...

Things I love!!!

Seeing some of my dearest friends dreams come true.

Sharing their experience and joy

Seeing their beautiful happy faces.

Having them introduce me as Auntie Lori

Hearing that everything is going great. Praise God

I love you and hope to see you very soon!

Katie R. said...

Wonderful list. I think it's so neat that although Eva is three you still get to hear her first words. I love that. So happy you all are becoming a forever family. God bless.

erin said...

As a new mother, too, don't you find such joy and fulfillment in things like housework that you didn't before?
So much more to say, but mostly, I am so happy for you.

NoOtherName said...

I think my favorite was the one about her running to Daddy to show him a new outfit or jewelry. Melted my heart.

And Katie, what a sweet thought about them getting to hear her first words!

Thanks, V, for sharing with us. What a privilege to hear these first impressions of your new life as a mommy! Love you all!

Ben said...

Ariel and I are in tears. Why do you have to write such touching posts?

Naomi said...

Thanks for giving us such a beautiful peek into your new life as a mommy. I will honestly say that any child of yours is PRIVILEDGED to have you as a mommy. You are a natural, and I love watching you sink into this role so readily.

swirlingeddy said...

Things I love about motherhood:

1. You!

LS said...

Beautiful! I've been waiting eagerly for a post on life with Eva from your perspective. I'm so glad the transition has been wonderful and smooth and you are enjoying all these precious little things (which are really the big things in the long run)!

Jeni said...

I think of you all so often. I'm so happy for you three. :) I'm so glad you feel calm and content; I'll be praying for the time Ed goes back to work. I remember well the sense of...not exactly panic...I felt when Chris went back to work after Alex's placement.

Kara Jo said...

I love this post, Vonda. And I love Ed's comment. My joy for you guys continues to overflow!